UK Health Minister Andy Burnham declared his support for nine NHS Trusts applying for foundation status and welcomed the authorisation of three more Foundation Trusts by the independent regulator, Monitor.
This marks the three year anniversary of the first ten Foundation Trusts being given the go-ahead on April 1st 2004. The total number of Foundation Trusts now stands at 62.
The Secretary of State has supported the nine applications which will go forward to Monitor to apply a series of rigorous checks and tests before deciding which Trusts will receive authorisation.
The nine Trusts are:
* Birmingham Women’s Health Care NHS Trust
* Derbyshire Mental Health Services NHS Trust
* East London and The City Mental Health NHS Trust
* Lancashire Care NHS Trust
* Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Trust
* Medway NHS Trust
* Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Trust
* Poole Hospital NHS Trust
* Taunton and Somerset NHS Trust
The three Trusts who have today received authorisation by Monitor are:
* Christie Hospital NHS Trust
* York Hospitals NHS Trust
* Dorset Healthcare NHS Trust